Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Do What You Do Best

In taking the Gallup StrengthsFinder Survey several years ago, I found one of my top strengths to be life long learner. This didn’t really surprise me as I am currently in a doctoral program, and always taking classes. I am an avid reader, and have been teaching for many years. The point of mentioning this is that I am actively engaged in and using one of my top strengths.

Think about this for a moment. If you are doing what you do best, you are likely to be happier. Of course, it is not always possible to be doing work that you do best, but consider other areas of your life such as hobbies or leisure time activities.

This week, do some thinking about your personal strengths. What have you been told you are good at? What do you enjoy doing? What kinds of activities make you the happiest? 

Make some notes and share your observations below. 

Take good care!




Please jump in and respond on this blog, by clicking the blue 'Post a Comment' link just below.

If you are new to blogging, here are some instructions. If you are the first leave a comment, it will say 'No Comments' - just click that link. If you do not have one of the listed accounts, please choose either Name/URL or Anonymous from the profile list before you click 'Post Comment'.

Image Copyright: racorn / 123RF Stock Photo

1 comment:

Ken Shim said...

Photography has always been a passion of mine, ever since childhood. I'm now in my early 70's and a relatively successful business owner, but not related to photography. Work still keeps me busy, but I'm finding time now to do more with photography; however, I'm having a conflicting interest that is taking up my discretionary time. I have a love for music as well, and so I've started piano lessons. I'm finding that work and piano lessons take up much of my discretionary time that I would use for pursuing photography. So, I'm thinking that maybe I just need to be more efficient with my time, i.e., better time management, so I can do it all, or cut out some things in my life so I can spend more time pursuing photography. I feel a bit foolish bringing this up, because I could conclude that if I were really interested in photography, I would already be spending most of my discretionary time pursuing it. Besides work and piano, I have a lot of interests, like physical fitness (biking, rock climbing, working out), gardening, food fermenting, which also take up my discretionary time. Any suggestions?